Chasing Cheerios

Monday, March 3, 2008

Arranging Flowers


The idea for this activity came from Montessori Mama's wonderful blog. I'd never thought about having O arrange flowers since she is so young, but I decided to give it a try. I bought some pretty silk daffodils and cut them into individual flowers. I had them ready to use, but then I noticed that my mom had a vase of real daffodils on her kitchen counter. Its always better to use the real thing, so I removed the daffodils from the vase and took everything into the den. O was VERY excited when I told her that she could put the flowers into the vase. She loves flowers, so this was the perfect activity for her. She had a little trouble since the vase was so tall. I'm hoping I can find some small bottles for her to put her fake flowers in now that we are at home. Thanks, Jennifer, for another great idea!

3 comments:

  1. I keep forgetting to set up a tray with this work on it! Thanks for the reminder. It will be interesting to see if Josh will be as eager. I think I will add sorting the flowers by type into our work to make it a bit more of a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! I hope you'll post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the aknowledgement Melissa and kind words on my blog. Keeping practical life activities simple at first, supports success. I started with real flowers also but my O was frustraited by stems bending, so I switched to the fake flowers. (My O is a bit more rough and tumble than your O it would seem :)
    I also removed labels and washed out used vitamin bottles for vases, because I couldn't find many small sturdy vases to use. Jam jars would work well also. I'm so glad your O enjoyed this activity...Spring is on the way!
    In PEACE
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete