Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Peanut Butter Playdough

O and I made peanut butter playdough this afternoon. It was fun and very messy! There are lots of recipes on the internet, so I finally chose one and modified it a bit.

I used 1 cup of peanut butter (at the last minute I decided not to waste my yummy, organic peanut butter and used the cheap stuff that we used for the pine cone bird feeders a few months ago), 1 cup of dry milk, and a tablespoon of honey. Next time I will add more honey because our playdough was quite crumbly, and honey should help it to stick better.
O helped mix the peanut butter and honey. She tasted the honey and wasn't terribly impressed. We talked about the concepts of sweet and sour. She said the honey was sour, so we'll have to work on those concepts more :)
We mixed in the dry milk 1/4 of a cup at a time
She's having fun with the playdough! We had a bowl of cheerios and a bowl of raisins to use for decoration. She ate the raisins like they were candy (not that she ever eats candy!). I think I'll have to give her raisins more often! We also had a bowl of playdough accessories. I made a bear and a snake, and O just had fun mashing it all around and sneaking bites while saying "O tastes." I put the pb playdough in the refrigerator to use again soon, and we'll definitely add more honey before we play with it again.

7 comments:

  1. yummy! i would be eating more then creating! :) i love peanut butter so does my Little One! i'm putting that on my list of stuff to make soon! today we are playing toddler twister and cutting! but we might have to run by the store for the stuff to make this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds too yummy I think I would eat her dough! :) I am loving your blog and all the project ideas so thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea. I love your blog and am waiting for my 10 month old to grow up a bit so that I can try some of them with her. I love O's apron- did you make that as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! ps- I bought her apron at Target. It came in a set with her chef's hat. She loves them both and wears them all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've done this before! I made up a big batch and froze smaller portions. It lasted us a while. I just love your blog it is such a wonderful resource, even for my children who are a bit older than yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boys love their organic raisins. If you can't find them let me know, & I'll send you some. We keep the little boxes around b/c they are easy to carry when we run errunds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and they love it if I take the raisins and mix them into a container with chedder bunnies and just a few m&ms! This is a fun treat that keeps them occupied when we are out and about like at the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete