Chasing Cheerios

Monday, April 5, 2010

Yummy Birds' Nests


O and I made yummy bird nests with chocolate malt ball eggs for Easter! We had fun, and they turned out even cuter than I expected.

The idea and recipe for the birds' nests came from The Artful Parent. The nests are basically rice crispy treats made with cornflakes and shaped to look like nests. We made several changes in the recipe, but nothing major...we used Total cereal instead of corn flakes, we didn't toast our coconut, and we used a whole bag of mini marshmallows. I think making (and eating!) these fun, little nests may be a new Easter/Spring tradition for us!

To make the nests, we melted a bag of mini marshmallows along with a 1/2 cup of butter. We poured in a teaspoon of vanilla extract. We then slowly mixed in 4 cups of Total cereal and a fourth cup of coconut. We pressed the mixture into mini muffin tin cups to make the nests. After they were set, I took them out of the muffin tin. We refrigerated the nests overnight, and then we put the eggs in the nests to finish the recipe.

3 comments:

  1. Very cute and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great. We made the same thing but poured melted chocolate over chow mein noodles. I think I may try your marshmallow version next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been surfing the net to find refreshing ideas about Easter (I know it is a bit early to think about Easter but I like to be organised). I had visited your site several times in the past and I searched spring activities on your blog. The little nests are a brillaint idea. They are easy to make and very effective. I think I will copy your idea if it's OK. Thank you for sharing your activities online. Aude

    ReplyDelete