Chasing Cheerios

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Magnetic Necklaces

Magnetti necklaces are all the rage around here, and when I saw them I said "I can make that!" (and was appalled by how much they cost!) It took me a while to gather the appropriate materials and find the time to make them, but it was very easy to do. O wants a "collection" of magnettis, so I know what her handmade Christmas gift is going to be!

The necklace is a silky cord with a magnetic bail attached. I ordered bails from Amazon, but they were not magnetic. My mom finally found magnetic bails and the silky cords at Hobby Lobby...I REALLY wish that we lived closer to a Hobby Lobby...I haven't been there since before Christmas!

Anyway, to make the pendant, I used round, wooden discs (from Michael's). I painted the discs white and cut a circle from scrapbook paper to fit the discs. I decopaged the scrapbook paper circle to the discs and then covered the front and sides of the discs with a protective layer of decopauge. I then glued a VERY strong magnet to the back of the finished disc using E600 glue. (These magnets actually make me a little nervous since we have a baby who puts everything in her mouth...I only worked on this after she was asleep because I was afraid I'd drop one without realizing it, and she'd eat it before I could stop her).

I let the glue dry for a couple of days before trying out the magnetic disc on the bail. It worked perfectly, and I hope the recipient of this necklace loves it as much as O does!

12 comments:

  1. These are adorable and so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing those! I know two little girls in my house who would LOVE some of those! :) I am sure we can make some too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of magnettis before? Are these the new fad? I love this idea and think both of my girls would LOVE these! Maybe we can be trend setters for once;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The recipient DOES love this necklace as much as O. It's AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if magnettis are a wide spread fad or just around our area. The ones I've seen are made with flattened bottle caps, but I like the look of the wooden discs much better. I'm looking forward to making a lot more! I think this may be the handmade gift that we make for all of the older girls on our Christmas list! (and the little girls are getting chocolate playdough with Christmas cookie cutters!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea but cannot find the magnetic bails anywhere. Not even on the Hobby Lobby website!? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonja- The bails aren't labeled as being magnetic...my mom had a magnet that she tried on the various packs of bails until she found a pack that was magnetic. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic idea! I think I've just figured out my little girl's Christmas gift this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Melissa, I just received my order of bails from Hobby Lobby and am so excited to make them!!
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of these, but I know that Sayer and several of her friends would love them! Now to see where I can find magnetic bails near me ... :)

    ReplyDelete